Aldershot 1 Manchester United 3

FLC 2rd, September 9th

Attendance : 18,509

A Man U team valued at £1m took on the £11,000 Shots! However it was Aldershot that took the game to the visitors with Joe Jopling hitting the United crossbar with a powerful shot and Jimmy Rimmer making several saves from Shots efforts. It came as no surprise when Aldershot took the lead a few minutes from half-time, Richard Walden finding the net with a low drive. United came back in the closing seconds of the half when Dennis Law headed down to George Best who beat Shots Keeper Dave Hollins. The second half again saw the Shots going forward with Dennis Brown and Ronnie Walton causing the Manchester defence problems, plus big Jack Howarth was winning a good deal in the air. However it was United who found the net again with Best again causing the damage creating an opening for Brian Kidd to head home on 62 minutes. Still the Shots harried and the game was only settled in the dying minutes when Law made it three, pouncing on a Hollins parry from a Bobby Charlton shot. But an unforgettable afternoon for Shots fans.

Shots : Hollins, Walden, Jopling (Mitchell), Walker, Giles, Dean, Walton, Brown, Howarth, Melia, Priscott

Utd : Rimmer, Edwards, Dunne, Fitzpatrick, Ure, Sadler, Stiles, Law, Charlton, Kidd, Best


Aston Villa 0 Aldershot 0

FAC 3rd, Jan 4th 1964

Attendance : 21,912

Shots keeper David Jones was the Villa Park hero as he made a string of superb saves, including saving a second half Tony Hateley penalty, after Tony Devereux handled in the area. The Shots obtained a superb result holding Division One side Villa to a goaless draw, with Jim Towers almost winning it for Aldershot late on.

Aldershot 2 Aston Villa 1

FAC 3rd Replay, Jan 8th 1964

Attendance : 13,566

It was the Villa side who had to defend furiously in the replay with the Shots rampant. However it was not until the second period before the Shots found the net in the 69th minute thanks to a swerving Towers free kick. The Shots made it two from Chris Palethorpe’s curling corner on 75 minutes. Villa finally found the net at the death from Tony Hateley.

Shots : Jones, Devereux, Renwick, Smith, Henry, Mulgrew, Palethorpe, Priscott, Fogg, Towers, Burton

Villa : Simms, Wright, Aitken, Crowe, Sleeuwenhoek, Deakin, MacEwan, Ewing, Hateley, Tindall, Burrows


Everton 4 Aldershot 1

FAC 3rd, Jan 5th 1980

Attendance : 23,700

The Shots struggled at Goodison Park where the First Division side cruised to a comfortable victory. Injuries meant that regular defenders Joe Jopling and Paul Bennett were absent, leaving England striker Bob Latchford almost total control in the air. Indeed it was Latchford who opened the scoring after only 6 minutes. Shots keeper Glen Johnson was in constant demand saving efforts from Asa Hartford & Brian Kidd, however once again Latchford did the damage nodding a header down for Hartford to convert after 21 minutes. After this the Shots became a good deal more lively, culminating in a fine Crosby run, supplying Alex McGregor whose shot was deflected past the Toffee’s keeper. However Everton scored twice more after the break from future Shots hero Andy King and Brian Kidd.

Everton : Hodge, Gidman, Bailey, Wright, Lyons, King, Hartford, Stanley, Latchford, Kidd, McBride

Shots : Johnson, Edwards, Howitt, Dixon, Youlden, Wooler, Crosby, Brodie, French, Needham, McGregor


Huddersfield T 1 Aldershot 1

FAC 3rd, Jan 3rd 1970

Attendance : 16,757

The Shots came away from Yorkshire with an excellent result holding the Second Division leaders to a draw thanks to a fine strike from Len Walker.

Len Walker arm aloft scoring the Shots goal

Aldershot 3 Huddersfield T 1

FAC 3rd Rep Jan 12th 1970

Attendance : 14,332

It was the high flying visitors who took the lead following end to end play, through the dangerous Frank Worthington. Shortly afterwards Smith almost made it two through a pile driver that struck the bar. The Shots were a little fortunate with the equalizer when Melia chased a weak back pass that the keeper managed to claim, only to drop it at the Shots players feet who then proceeded to walk the ball into the net. The game then swung in favour of the Shots who nearly took the lead on several occasions before the interval. The second period started in similar vein with Peter Gowans taking the lead for Aldershot, firing in a powerful shot two minutes after the restart. The Shots were now in total control and on the hour Gowans would have made it three but for a Huddersfield player stopping the goal bound ball with a hand. Shots Jimmy Melia converted the resulting penalty to make it 3-1.

Shots : Godfey, Walden, Dean, Paton, Jopling, Walton, Walker, Brown, Howarth, Melia, Gowans,


Liverpool 1 Aldershot 0

FAC 3rd, Jan 2nd 1971

Attendance : 45,500

A dream tie for the Shots and especially boss Jimmy Melia returning to his old club, and he was given a rousing reception in the fog as the players took the field. The slippery conditions hampered both teams, Dennis Brown shooting high over when well placed. However Steve Heighway caused problems on the flank delivering telling crosses to John Toshack. However the Shots defence was rock solid except on one occasion when Toshack hit the bar with Dixon beaten. Sadly it was a mistake by Melia on the half hour that lead to the games only goal, losing the ball to McLaughlin on the half way line who then beat Richard Walden before slotting the ball past Mike Dixon. The second half saw Murray Brodie hit the side netting in a good position, but Dixon was inevitably the busier keeper. The Shots gave it their all but just could not beat Ray Clemence.

Liverpool : Clemence, Lawler, Boersma, Smith, Lloyd, Hughes, Callaghan, McLaughlin, Heighway, Toshack, Hall

Shots : Dixon, Walden, Walker, Joslyn, Giles, Dean, Walton, Brown Howarth, Melia, Brodie

........ More To Follow