A - H
Craig Matthews e-mailed me with a suggestion that I include a page where we can catch up with what ex-Shots are up to these days. If anyone has any additons or corrections as to what our old stars are up to now drop me a line at marke2692@yahoo.co.uk

Dale Banton

Dale was one of Len Walkers bargain buys, joining from West Ham United on a free for the start of the 82/3 season. Finished the season as the Shots highest scorer with 24 league goals and was a consistent marksman over the next few seasons getting 47 goals in 107 appearances before Ron Harris sold him to York for £50k. Sadly was not the same player when Len Walker paid Walsall an incredible £25k for his signing in 1989, and he scored just once in 24 games. Left for Goole Town at the end of the season and is now Sales Manager for a firm in York.

Bobby Barnes

Bobby joined West Ham from school, first as an apprentice and then becoming a full time pro in September 1980. He was to remain at Upton Park for over 5 years during which time first team opportunities were few, making 43 apps scoring 5 goals. Following a short spell on loan at Scunthorpe, became one of manager Len Walker’s best signings when joining the Shots for a £15,000 fee in March 86. Bobby soon became a great favourite, with his tremendous pacy dribbling runs and goals. A key member of Aldershot’s 86/7 play-off promotion side scoring in both Play-Off Final legs with Wolves. Made 49 apps scoring 26 times before being transferred to Swindon T in October 87 for £50,000 plus Steve Berry. Later had moves to Bournemouth [£110,000] and soon afterwards Northampton T [£70,000] then Peterborough U, without showing the form of his Aldershot days. Now a representative for the PFA.

Paul Bennett

Paul came to the attention of Southampton F.C, his home town club while captaining the Southampton schools team. He was offered apprentice forms and signed as a full professional in November 1969 making his league debut for the Saints in the First Division against Spurs in April 1972. He was a regular the following season and made 116 league apps. In July 1976 he was transferred to Reading for £8000 and was soon appointed captain leading his side to the Fourth Division title in 78/79. He made 105 appearances for the Elm Park Club before joining the Shots for a fee of £25,000 for the start of the 79/80 campaign. Paul was to prove a reliable defender and in his three seasons at the Rec made 112 appearances scoring twice. Departed the Rec at the end of the 1981/2 season and signed for Southern League newcomers RS Southampton. Currently the manager of Southampton's East Point Community Centre.

Barry Blankley

Barry was born in Aldershot and represented Aldershot Shools, but joined Southampton as an apprentice professional. During his stay at the Dell he played regularly for reserves but never made a first team league appearance, although played against the Shots in a Hants Pro Cup tie. Barry joined Aldershot in December 84 and after making his debut against Hereford just before Christmas was ever present for the remainder of the campaign. The strong tackling full back making 28 appearances and becoming a firm favourite with the home crowd. Barry eventually made 90 apps before his release at the end of 86/7 (prompted by an injury hit season) when he joined Woking. Recently departed as manager of Southern league side Bashley, now assitant managed at Salisbury City.

Murray Brodie

Murray began his career with Cumbernauld Utd, before signing for Leicester City in 1969, making his league debut and scoring just three days later against Watford. The following game with Middlesbrough Murray again found the net. However in his next outing he was injured and first team opportunities ended. Murray came to Aldershot in September 1970 as part of the record £43000 deal that took Joe Jopling to Leicester City. He made his Shots debut on his 20th birthday and it was the start of a long and happy relationship with the popular Scot going on to record the highest league appearances for the club totalling 461 with 84 goals to his credit. He was voted the Player of the Year for 79/80, and his loyal service to the Shots was rewarded in April 1981 with a much deserved Testimonial game with W.B.A. On leaving Aldershot In the summer of 1983 Murray joined Basingstoke Town, and is now a member of the Police service working in the CID in Surrey.

Dennis Brown

Joined Chelsea as a junior, before signing pro forms in 1962, highly regarded he scored on his league debut against Manchester United. However he made only 9 more appearances before his transfer to Swindon Town in 1964 scoring 38 times in 90 games. A transfer to Northampton almost saw his career ended when involved in a car accident which resulted in Dennis requiring a plastic knee cap. After a lengthy lay-off he returned to make 46 apps scoring 10 times. For the start of the 69/0 season he joined Aldershot and in six seasons at the club made 245 league appearances scoring 61 goals. Upon leaving the Shots at the end of 73/4 he teamed up with Jimmy Greaves at non-league Barnet. Now retired from playing Dennis still runs every day and is fit as ever. Even with only one knee cap. Working as a self employed salesman around Hampshire and Berkshire and seems to always have a story to tell about a man who saw him play or remembers the good old days. Should retire soon but just keeps on going. Lives in Wokingham, Berkshire now and keeps an eye on the Shots results.

Glen Burvill

Glen was part of the exciting team formed by Len Walker in the 1983/4 season when the Shots just missed out on promotion finishing in 5th position (again!!). An elegant goalscoring midfield player who scored four times in a memorable 7-1 thrashing of Mansfield during that season. Moved on to Reading for £8,000 during the following season sold by Ron Harris. Returned to Aldershot for the 86/7 season which was probably the greatest in the clubs history with memorable cup runs and of course promotion to Division Three via the new fangled "Play Off's". Glen scored a couple of very important goals during that season too one in the 3-0 thrashing of top flight side Oxford United then in Division One, and getting the Shots first in the 2-2 draw at Bolton in the Play Off Semi Final second leg at Bolton where the Shots went on the beat Wolves twice over the two legged Final! Now working for the Post Office in Peacehaven and also Manager of Sussex side Ringmer.

Steve Claridge

Steve travelled greatly before joining the Shots, his career took him from his home town club Portsmouth to Fareham and Basingstoke Town before a league return with Bournemouth in 84/5. He only made seven appearances scoring once in two seasons before a return to non-league soccer with Weymouth. Crystal Palace gave him another pro chance but did not make the first team, before joining the Shots initially on loan in October 1988. Steve was an immediate hit with the Aldershot public with his pace, superb ball control and tireless running. His somewhat unkempt appearance with socks down, shirt hanging out earned him the affectionate nickname of "Wurzel"! As well as finding the net regularly himself he formed a fine partnership with Dave Puckett. After his loan spell signed permanently for a bargain £14,000 fee, and was awarded Player of the Year for 1988/9. Due to financial problems left the Rec for only £50,000 in February 1990 having made 62 apps scoring 19 goals. After an unhappy time at Cambridge U, moved to Luton T and Birmingham City before a £1.2 million move to Leicester City for whom he secured Premier League soccer with a goal in the 1995 Play Off Final. Then followed a spell back at his home town club Portsmouth, where he also managed the club for a time plus a spell at Millwall. Recently left as manager of Conference South side Weymouth, and has made a playing comeback with Brighton and now Brentford.

David Coles

David became a Birmingham City Apprentice in May 1980 before signing professional forms in April 1982. His opportunities were limited at St. Andrews so he joined Mansfield in March 1983 and it was with the Stags that he made his League debut versus Stockport County. After 3 apps. he was signed by Len Walker in the summer of '83 David missing just one game in his first season which was deservedly climaxed by being voted the Player of the Year. The 84/85 season was not quite so successful for David not because of loss of form but because of a nasty knee injury which sidelined him for a lengthy period. The injury again restricted his appearances at the beginning of the 85/86 campaign but the dogged determination of the man soon saw him return to action continuing where he had left off with one fine performance after another. However tragedy was to again strike the likeable keeper in March 1986 when he suffered a broken leg at Swindon. David left the Shots at the end of the 90/1 season after making 150 league outings for Aldershot. Currently goalkeeping coach at Southampton FC.

Malcolm Crosby

Malcolm came to the Rec originally as a trialist having played for the Horton and Westoe Juniors in South Shields. He signed apprentice forms in August 1970 and it was whilst an apprentice that he made his first appearance as sub at Darlington during 71/2. He turned professional in 72 it was 3 years before he earned himself a regular place in the side during which time he spent periods on loan to then Southern League Wimbledon, and Fleet Town. Malcolm always an enthusiastic competitor played in midfield but could always be relied upon if asked to play out of position, including taking over from injured Keeper Tony Godfrey in a FAC tie with Graham Taylor’s Lincoln City in 1975. He was to stay at the Recreation Ground for a total of 11 years for which he was granted a testimonial, the opposition being West Ham. Having made some 294 apps he was involved in an exchange deal which brought lan McDonald to Aldershot. On joining York Malcolm was made Club Captain and went on to make 99 appearances. Later was briefly manager of Sunderland and was in charge for the 1992 FAC Final, then again joined Denis Smith as his assistant at Oxford U. Was assistant manager to Andy King at Swindon Town, but has recently returned to his native North East having joined the coaching staff at Middlesbrough.

Ray Dean

Ray was on the books of Reading as an apprentice before signing as a professional in May 1966. He appeared in the Royals first team during the following 2 seasons making 54 appearances, and also made two FA Cup outings against the Shots. In July 1969 he signed for Aldershot making his debut on the opening day of the 69/70 season. Ray was to remain at the Club for 6 seasons during which time he appeared on 256 occasions, being ever present for 3 consecutive seasons between 70-73. A strong reliable defender he was to conjure up a fine rapport with the home supporters who appreciated his genuine contribution to the team. Ray was released in the summer of 1975 joining Southern League Margate. Now believed to be a plasterer in Fleet.

Will Dixon

Will joined Arsenal straight from school and completed his apprenticeship at Highbury before signing as a full timer. He didn't get a chance in the 1st team so he moved on to Reading in 1969 and quickly established himself in the league side at Elm Park making 150 apps. He was transferred to Colchester in 1973 but before he had a chance to play in the senior side he was on the move again this time to Swindon. He was to make 134 apps in 4 seasons at the County Ground before joining the Shots in July 1977. Will was to miss just one league game in his first season and during his time at the Recreation Ground became very much a crowd pleaser with his tigerish performances in midfield. Will, a real battler in the true sense of the word was to appear in the red and blue colours of Aldershot for 3 seasons making 114 apps most of which were recorded in the No. 4 shirt on his release form the club at the end of 79/0 joined Woking. Now a taxi driver in Farnborough.

John Dungworth

John, Rotherham born began his career with Huddersfield Town in 1970 but only appeared 23 times between 72-74 scoring once. After a loan spell with Barnsley John moved to Oldham in March 75 but only 4 more outings in nearly two years, saw John take another loan spell this time to Rochdale in March 77 where 14 apps produced only 3 goals. The turning point in John’s career came on receiving a free transfer move to Aldershot in the summer of 1977. Having scored only five times in 44 matche, Tom MacAnearney's gamble to bring the tall striker South was to reap dividends in his first season in Shots colours with a total of 23 goals in 45 league games as well as being voted Player of the Year by the home supporters. If 77/78 was considered successful the following season was even more so. John was ever present scoring 26 goals to break the all time Shots record of league goals in a season previously held by Jack Howarth. However some of his finest performances were realised in the F.A. Cup with Shots playing some 8 games in the competition and John scoring on 8 occasions to make him the second highest scorer in the country with 34 goals. He picked up the Adidas Golden Boot Award for being the leading scorer in the 4th Division and was again voted the Player of the Year by the fans. A consistent performer, both good in the air as well as on the ground, John struck up a fine partnership with Andy Needham but was always first to recognise the service given to him by Murray Brodie and Alex McGregor. A number of Clubs expressed interest in John prior to the 79/80 season and he chose to remain on a monthly conditional contract. After a further 14 games - 9 goals John joined Shrewsbury in October 1979, the Football League Tribunal setting the fee at only £100,000 half the amount the Club valued him at. His total tally of league goals for Aldershot numbered 58 in 105 apps, a scoring rate of one goal in every two games an excellent ratio. Without receiving the same service John did not reproduce his Aldershot form at Shrewsbury and he moved on Hereford (loan), Mansfield and finally his home town club Rotherham (playing in defence). After hanging up his boots he was youth coach at Sheffield United and Leeds United, and is currently holding a similar position at Huddersfield Town.

Colin Garwood

Colin was the clubs record signing, bought by Tommy MacAnearney in a desperate attempt to boost the Shots promotion chances in February 1980. Portsmouth were eventually persuaded to part with him for some £54,000, having made 71 league appearances for them scoring 34 goals. His career began in his native East Anglia with Peterborough where he scored 30 in 66 league games. Spells at Oldham, Huddersfield and Colchester followed before joining Portsmouth. In truth his signing for the Shots for a large fee did not really come of as the promotion drive fizzled out with the Shots finishing 10th. Colin made 81 league outings for Aldershot scoring 25 goals, bringing his league career total to 425 league games scoring 158 goals. Left for Boston United at the end of the 1981/2 season. Currently believed to be a Director of Wisbech Town and a Packaging Manager for a pet food company.

Jimmy Giles

Jimmy was given a trial by Bristol Rovers but things didn't work out so he left to play for Kidlington in the Hellentic League from where Swindon signed him. He graduated from the Youth side and made his debut against Aldershot and ironically after just 13 appearances he was to join the playing staff at the Recreation ground for a £5,000 fee with a reputation as an all round sportsman combining his football with playing Cricket for Oxfordshire in the Minor Counties League. He made his Shots debut in October 1968 against Bradford City and soon became a firm favourite with the home supporters who immediately took to the jovial six footer whose authority in the air and positional sense made him Shots match winner and saviour on many an occasion. He was voted Player of the Year at the end of his first season (68/69) but tragedy was to strike Jimmy in a Boxing Day fixture with Swansea when he suffered a broken leg. Jimmy showing great heart for the game returned to Midweek League action in April 1970 but he was never able to recapture the form he displayed prior to the injury and for a while was left out of the side which culminated in a transfer request in Jan 1971, Jimmy eventually joined Exeter in March for £4000 having made 81 appearances. He was to remain at St. James Park for 4 years where he made 183 apps before joining Charlton in June 1975 where a further 92 apps were registered. In Dec 1977 he returned for a second spell at Exeter and returned to the Rec when the Shots beat Exeter 4-1 in the FA Cup in 1979/0, and scoring an own goal for the Shots!, he recorded 130 apps before joining his local Western League side Chard Town. Now a builder in the West Country and working on local radio covering Exeter City.

Howard Goddard

Howard was still an apprentice at Bournemouth when he was given his Football League debut v Halifax in April 1973. Then moved on to Swindon, Newport, Blackpool and back to Bournemouth. In August 1982 Howard joined Aldershot on loan which was later to become a permanent arrangement making a scoring debut against Tranmere on the opening day of the season. He was to forge a useful partnership with Dale Banton that showed good understanding and in his season at the Rec Howard scored 9 goals in 28 matches. After leaving the Rec signed for Finnish league side Kapa. Has just left as manager of Wessex league side Andover.

Tony Godfrey

Tony began his senior goalkeeping career in the Army joining Southampton in April 1958 from Southern League Basingstoke. He was to make 140 appearances for the Saints winning a 3rd Division Winners Medal and a 2nd Div. Runner Up medal before losing the goalkeeping jersey to Scottish International Campbell Forsyth which prompted Shots Manager Dave Smith to negotiate a transfer to the Recreation Ground for Tony for a four figure fee in December 1965. Despite being short in stature Tony was an extremely agile an competent keeper who was to give sterling service to the Club, being ever present in seasons 66/67 and 67/68 and recording 172 apps before being allowed to join Rochdale at the same time as winger Peter Gowans in July 1970. He was to stay two seasons making 71 apps before returning to the Rec to play under Manager Tommy MacAnearney in the. 72/73 promotion winning season, appearing in all 46 League games. Tony was to remain at the Club for a further 3 seasons but with the emergence of Glen Johnson, first team chances became rare and when he was released in the summer of '76 his second spell at the Club had realised just 68 apps. In later years Tony's love of the game took him into local non-league football circles including Fleet Town and Basingstoke, where he is now in the building trade.

Phil Gunter

Phil signed for Aldershot at the beginning of the 64/65 season having played previously for Portsmouth, first as a junior moving on to become an apprentice and finally signed as a full time professional. Ironically Phil's younger brother David was to also become a professional with South coast rivals Southampton but after 7 apps he drifted out of the League. Phil's stay at Fratton Park was to last 15 years during which time he won an England Under 23 Cap and England 'B' honours as well as being one of Pompeys stalwarts of the Division 3 Championship winning side in 61/62 season. In total he made 320 apps for Portsmouth before deciding to join the Shots on a free transfer. Phil, a lay preacher, was not unfamiliar with the Aldershot area having run a series of coaching courses for boys at Farnborough. As a result he soon settled into the side becoming a solid and reliable defender. Because of his religious beliefs he refused to play on Bank Holidays but this did not distract from his dedication to the game which was there for all to see. During his two seasons at the Club he made 78 appearances, many of which he was captain, before leaving the Club at the end of the 65/66 season to later become a teacher at the King Edwards School in Witley. Last known to have emigrated to Australia and working as a tennis coach.

Ron Harris

Ron was appointed manager of the Shots during the 84/5 season after a consortium of local businessmen managed to oust Reg Driver and Co, and a new board took control of the Shots. At the end of the season Driver regained control of the club and Len Walker returned yet again as manager of Aldershot . Ron’s record in his brief time in charge was promising and it would have been interesting to see what he could have achieved with a longer spell in charge. Was owner of a holiday fishing chalet park near Warminster in Wiltshire. Now living in Jersey and Manager of the Jersey representative football team I believe.

Ronnie Hobbs

Ron was a pupil at the West End School in Aldershot finishing his education at 14 years old. He played for the Aldershot Shop Assistants on Wednesday afternoons before joining Woking for whom he played to the end of the 1938/39 season. Ron next played for a team under the umbrella of Aldershot Football Club before being called-up for war service fn the RAF in 1940. He played several games for Aldershot during his leave periods playing alongside such household names as Britton, Cullis, Mercer, Lawton and Swift. In 1944 Ron was signed by Shots Manger Bill McCracken as a part time professional which he remained for the duration of his playing days at the Recreation Ground. A speedy and versatile winger Ron gave sterling service to the Club and was to be rewarded in April 1951 when he shared a Benefit with Jack White, the opposition provided by Kilmarnock. In the summer of 1955 he was released by the Club having made some 191 appearances scoring 19 goals. Ron joined Alton Town where playing in the Russell Coates Cup, he unfortunately broke a leg which ultimately finished his competitive playing career. Possibly the only ex-Aldershot player to still regularly watch the Shots?

Jack Howarth

Jack was born in Crook, Co. Durham where he began his playing days as an amateur with Stanley United. He joined Chelsea in October 1963 but within 12 months was signed by Swindon where he enjoyed considerable scoring success for the reserves in the Combination league. Only two first team appearances were recorded whilst at the County Ground but Jack's career was to really blossom after signing for the Shots in July 1965. He stepped straight into the first team and was seldom missing from the Manager's team sheet, being over six foot in height Jack became a natural leader of the forward line creating and scoring many a goal with his exceptional heading ability which made him a feared opponent to whomever he played against, although in these early seasons he was adept with his feet far more than in later seasons. The supporters warmed to his old fashioned centre forward style and made him their player of the year at the end of the 66/67 season. Jack became the Club's leading scorer in each of his 6 full seasons at the Rec gradually clawing his way to a century of goals, a milestone he achieved in an away fixture against Grimsby in January 1971. 4 goals later against Exeter at the Rec, Jack broke the Clubs all time league scoring record held previously by Norman Menzies. He continued to entertain the fans and Liverpool and Reading expressed an interest in his goalscoring prowess but it came as a complete shock to the supporters when he was signed by Rochdale in Jan 1972 for an £8000 fee. However, 40 apps and 12 goals later he was rejoining the Shots in exchange for £7000 and it was to result in a happy reunion especially in the 72/3 season with Jack helping the Club to promotion, being ever present in the side with his 46 appearances bringing 25 goals - a new club record of league goals in a season, and again receiving a personal accolade from the supporters with their player of the year award. Jack's final appearance in Club colours was against Bournemouth in Jan 1977 signing for the Cherries shortly afterwards for £7000. His two stints at the Recreation Ground had realised 421 league apps with a total of 171 goals scored which is a a club record. Jack made 42 apps, 6 goals for the South Coast Club before joining Southport on non contract forms where he made 9 appearances. He spent a period playing in the United States National League for Southern California Lazers before returning to England where he resumed his playing career in non league circles with Basingstoke, Andover and Hampshire league side Romsey. Last heard of working for the Post Office in Romsey.

Bobby Howfield

Bobby was playing for Bushey United when the local Football League side Watford offered him professional status. He made his debut in the 57/58 season and in his two seasons at the Club made a total of 47 apps scoring 9 goals before signing for Crewe in the summer of 1959. However just 5 apps and three months later Bobby joined Aldershot for £1,500. In his first season he was the Clubs leading scorer with 14 goals but tragedy struck the player at the beginning of the 60/61 season when he broke a leg after scoring twice against Barrow. After a lengthy lay-off he was again back to his aggressive self for the 61/62 season and his unrivalled shooting power brought him a total of 23 goals which brought the label of 'Golden Boy' from the home supporters. His fiery temperament repeatedly upset the Clubs Management and having been warned about his behaviour he was finally suspended in March 1962 for missing training and late arrival for a league game. Having made 76 apps for the Club scoring 44 goals Bobby decided he would only sign a monthly contract at the start of the 62/63 campaign so when Watford again showed an interest in the player the Shots Board accepted the offer of £4000. His stay at Vicarage Road, the second time around lasted 15 months Bobby scoring 13 goals in 45 apps before joining 1st Division Fulham where he stayed until June '65 scoring 9 times in 26 apps. His potential as a crowd puller persuaded Manager Dave Smith to sign Bobby again in August '65 but unfortunately his bad boy image had not deserted him and although he remained at the Rec for 2 seasons he was continually in conflict with the Clubs Officials again serving internal suspensions and finally at the end of the 66/67 season he was released, his second period at the Club realising 34 apps with 10 goals scored. Went to the USA to play Pro US Football as a kicker for the New York Jets and Denver Broncos.

Reg Driver

Former Chairman is now a purveyor of fish in Fleet Saturday market.

Many thanks for additions and corrections to : Craig Matthews, Greger Lindberg, Liam Kane, Tony Jones, John Townsend, David Taylor, Harry Hutchinson, Alan Woan Jnr, Dan Brown & Robbie Stepney Jnr.