J - Y
Craig Matthews e-mailed me with a suggestion that I include a page where we can catch up with what ex-Shots are up to these days. If anyone has any additons or corrections as to what our old stars are up to now drop me a line at marke2692@yahoo.co.uk

Clive Jackman

Aldershot born Clive signed as an amateur for AFC at 15 whilst still at Farnborough Grammar School and played in the "A" team with occasional games for the Combination side. In 52-53 season twice turned out for the first team but a double fracture of the jaw sustained against Leicester reserves on Christmas eve that year prevented further opportunities for the top goalkeeping place. Signed professional for Aldershot in May 1953.

Became the first choice 'keeper for Aldershot until he was also transferred to WBA in 1957. The WBA connection was Gordon Clark who had become the assistant manager to Vic Buckingham and, for a short time succeeded him on his departure from West Brom. Unfortunately, Clive's career at the top level was to be short lived as, after securing a regular first team slot, he sustained a serious back injury in late 1959. On medical advice he retired in March 1960. Now residing in Christchurch but still keenly keeping an eye on the progress of Aldershot Town F.C.

Pictures of Clive in action for the Shots HERE

Glen Johnson

Glen was playing for Holker Old Boys under the managership of Colin Appleton when Arsenal offered him an apprenticeship in August 1969. Twelve months later he joined the professional ranks representing the Club in the Metropolitan League side and the Football Combination. In February 1970 he was chosen for the England Youth side v Republic of Ireland in which England scored 10 goals without reply. In June 1970 with little chance of winning a first team place in the Gunners line-up he signed for Doncaster with his Football League debut against Mansfield on the opening day of the 70/71 season. In three seasons with the Yorkshire Club he made 95 appearences which also included a short loan spell with Walsall. Glen returned south to join Aldershot in June 1973 signing in time to join the players on a short tour of Spain. Tony Godfrey was the first choice at the club but when he was injured Glen was given the green jersey at Plymouth away and it was to be the beginning of a long and happy career at the Rec. He was seldom missing during the next ten seasons being ever present in seasons 74/5 and 78/9. The likeable keeper enjoyed numerous highlights whilst a Shots player. Those that spring to mind are his Player of the Year award at the end of the 74/75 season, saving a penalty kick three times in succession in a league fixture at home to Newport in 76/7 and his Mecca loyalty award. Glen was also interested in local soccer devoting a lot of his spare time helping to coach Ash United. Having made 424 league appearances plus 43 apps in Cup competitions, a record no other keeper in the history of Aldershot Football Club has come near to equalling, Glen was forced to retire from the game in the summer of 1983 with a recurring back injury, his final appearance for the Shots coming in the last game of the 82/3 season ironically versus Mansfield against whom as mentioned previously he made his football league debut. Now co-owner of a golf course near Lewes in Sussex.

Joe Jopling

Joe accepted an offer of a trial with Aldershot through Manager David Smith's north-east connections in 1969, and within a week he signed professional forms and made his debut at Peterborough four months later. Joe soon established himself at full-back and became a target of the scouts, with Leicester City paid £50,000 for him in September 1970. Aldershot actually received £30,000 and two players, Murray Brodie and Jimmy Burt. Joe made one League appearance for Leicester in their promotion season - against Sunderland! But he suffered an unfortunate leg injury the following term which hampered his career. He returned to Aldershot in March 1974 in a £13,000 transfer and resumed at centre-half became a club stalwart as the team just missed a promotion by a place in 1977-78 and 1978-79. He was made captain in 1976 and led by example. He left the club at the end of 1983-84 after 367 League appearances and a much deserved testimonial match against Arsenal. Now publican of the "Golden Lion" in the High Street, Aldershot.

Roger Joslyn

Born in Colchester he played in Junior and senior schoolboy football locally and was approached by both Leeds and Colchester United at 17. He chose Colchester and made his debut against Bristol Rovers on December 23rd 1967. Relegation actually gave him the chance to develop as an industrious and enthusiastic midfield player. He made 98 appearances before Jimmy Melia persuaded him to sign for Aldershot in October 1970 in a £8,000 deal. Roger soon established himself as an aggressive player who won the Player of the Year award in his first season. Better still he scored the goal which ensured promotion for Aldershot at Stockport County in May 1973 on his 23rd birthday. But after 186 appearances he was transferred to Watford in November 1974 for £22,000, a fee decided by tribunal. Relegation also proved a blessing in disguise there because with Graham Taylor newly appointed he collected his first championship medal and then further promotion to Division Two. Sadly Roger moved to Reading in November 1979 but stricken by injuries he discovered he had osteoarthritis of both hips and he had to retire after 581 games over 15 years. Now believed to be running a furniture business "Joslyn Fitted Furniture" in Hertfordshire

Andy King

Andy was born and educated in Luton. From 11 to 15 he was on schoolboy forms at Tottenham and was disappointed when they did not offer him apprenticeship. He began work as a sheet metal operative and played Sunday football. Eventually Luton Town signed him in July 1974 and after 33 appearances and nine goals he moved to Everton for £35,000. He became a hit on Merseyside during his five years at Goodison Park and scored one of the most memorable goals seen in a Derby game with Liverpool captured by Match of the Day cameras. In September 1980 after 151 appearances and 38 goals he moved to Q.P.R managed by Tommy Docherty in a £425,000 deal. However within a couple of weeks Terry Venables was in charge and after creating history the following season by scoring the first League goal on artificial turf, he was transferred to W.B.A for a similar fee, to replace Bryan Robson. But he was unhappy here and subsequently returned to Everton in an exchange deal involving Peter Eastoe. Later spells with Cambuur in Holland, Wolves and Luton once more followed before Len Walker persuaded the gifted midfield player to sign for Aldershot in August 1986. Despite absences with injury he played a vital role in steering the Shots to promotion via the play-offs, but left the Shots at the end of the following season having only made a brief appearance in the Shots cup shocker at Sutton United. Went on to manage in Ireland briefly before returning to take charge at Mansfield Town, currently boss at Swindon Town.

Tony Lange

Came on loan from Charlton Athletic when David Coles was injured in August 1985, making seven appearances. Returned to The Valley to make senior outings in their promotion winning side that season. Len Walker approached him at the end of that term to come back to Aldershot and he finally accepted. Missed only one game in goal and his part in the promotion success in 86/7, which earned him the Player of the Year award. became the Shots hihest transfer sale in the summer of 1989, moving on to Wolverhampton Wanderers for £150,000. Now working for British Rail at Chichester.

Tom McAnearney

Tom joined Sheffield Wednesday with his brother Jim in 1951. He made his debut in 1952-53 and had a 13 year long association with the club. Though relegated twice they returned to the first Division at the first attempt and in 1959 Tom won a Second Division Championship medal. After 352 appearances he moved to Peterborough in November 1965 but four months later was offered the player-coach job at Aldershot. Under his guidance the team produced a string of fine results and avoided re-election. His commanding presence in midfield proved an inspiration to his colleagues and in little over a year he was made player/manager. But the chance to return to Sheffield Wednesday was strong and in October 1968 he was made coach to the First Division side. He was there for a couple of years before becoming manager of Crewe Alexandra and later Bury. His second spell at Aldershot began in the summer of 1972 and he was able to take the club out of the fourth Division for the first time in its history. Tom, an advocate of attacking football, introduced a number of players who benefited from his help and encouragement. He parted company with Aldershot in 1981 after 30 years in the game, and worked for the Post Office in Aldershot before retiring to Sheffield and now I believe residing back in his native Scotland .

Ian McDonald

Fantastic servant to Aldershot FC, Ian had an eventful career playing for his home town club Barrow, plus Workington, Liverpool, Mansfield and York City before joining the Shots during the 81/2 season in an exchange deal that saw Malcolm Crosby move to Bootham Cresent. Played for 10 years for the Shots making 358 league appearances and sadly seeing the club fold during his testimonial season. Memorably scored the Shots opener aginst Wolves in the Play Off Final first leg at the Rec in 1987, which saw the club attain promotion for only the second time. Following the demise of Aldershot FC he has had successful spells as youth team manager at Millwall and Portsmouth. Next Ian linked up with Geoff Chapple at Kingstonian as his assistant during the time they progressed to the Conference and won the FA Trophy several times. Following a period in charge at Hampton & Richmond Borough he recently steered Farnborough Town to safety in the Conference as caretaker manager, and was then dismissed after remaining with the club in a coahing capacity. Now scouting for Sunderland.

Jimmy Melia

Jimmy won England youth and schoolboy international honours before signing professional forms for his local club, Liverpool in November 1954. He scored on his debut against Nottingham Forest and won two England caps against Switzerland and Scotland. His crisp short-passing game as the focal point of the team helped Liverpool back to Division One in 1962. He made 268 appearances scoring 79 goals before a short spell at Wolves where he made 24 appearances. In November l964 he signed for Southampton and he guided them to the First Division for the first time. In four years at The Dell he made 139 appearances before ; joining Aldershot in a £9,000 move in November 1968. He scored on his Aldershot debut and during his time here was to show his belief in attacking football. In April 1969 he became manager and the team enjoyed some fine cup runs under him. He masterminded the performance against Manchester United and Huddersfield Town who were outplayed even though they were heading for Division One. For this he was nominated Evening Standard `Player of the Year' for January 1970. He parted company with the Club in February 1972 after 135 League appearances and 14 goals which included his 100th League goal. From Aldershot he joined Crewe as a Coach. Managerial spells in Portugal and a Brighton FA Cup Final appearance followed and then a period with Stockport Co. Currently coaching youngsters at Dallas Solar in the USA.

Gary Peters

After three year spells at both Aldershot and Guildford, Gary joined Reading on trial in 1975 signing for a small fee two months later. He quickly established himself as the Royal's right back, being a regular member of the 75-76 promotion side. Having made 156 League appearances, he failed to agree terms at the end of the 77-78 season, and was transferred to Fulham for a fee of £25,000 set by the League Tribunal. In 3 years at Craven Cottage he made 64 appearances before moving across London to join Wimbledon whom he captained on a number of occasions, helping the Club to win promotion to Divisions 3 and 2 in consecutive seasons before signing for Aldershot. For the Shots he played in central defence, but his stay at the Rec was to be short, just 23 League appearances before rejoining Reading to again figure prominently in the Clubs promotion to Division 2 in the 85/86 season. Later managed Preston North End for a time and just recently completed a short stay at Exeter City, but arriving to late to help them retain League status. Currently manager of Shrewsbury Town.

Terry Shanahan

Terry began his career with Ipswich Town where he made a few appearances in 1970 before moving on to Halifax after a loan spell at Blackburn Rovers. Further moves to Chesterfield, Millwall and Bournemouth followed before he joined the Shots for the 78/9 season where he made only 16 appearances scoring four goals. Terry is now a newsagent in Winchester.

Jim Smith

Jim began his career with home town club Sheffield United signing pro forms in January 1959. Did not make the first team before signing for Dave Smith in July 1961 and made 74 apps in his four season stay with the Shots. Moved back to Yorkshire signing for Halifax Town in time for the 65/6 season, and after 112 league outings joined Lincoln City in March 68. After a further 54 league matches went into management with non-league Boston U. Then a successful career in league management began with Colchester U followed by Blackburn R, Birmingham City, gaining promotion for the Essex and Midland clubs .Then on to Oxford United, taking them from Division Three to One. Managed Q.P.R to the Milk Cup Final, then spells at Newcastle United and Portsmouth reaching the FA Cup Semi Final. The 'Bald Eagle’ is currently assistant manager at Southampton.

Paul Staff

Paul won England Youth honours before joining his local club Hartlepool United as an apprentice after school. He signed as a full-timer in September 1980 and made 98 Fourth Division appearances scoring 14 goals. Aldershot offered £2,000 for this left-sided winger and he arrived in August 1994. A broken leg in a cup-tie with Norwich City restricted his appearances to 37 scoring 11 goals before moving back north to join Chester- le-Street at the end of 85/6, then linked up with Consett, last heard of working in a hospital in Durham.

Robbie Stepney

Robbie played for both Horsham and Redhill as an amateur before coming to the attention of Aldershot manager Harry Evans. He was offered professional status in September 1958. He scored an opportunist hat-trick against Gateshead in the Shots record league 8-1 victory, but gradually he developed into a midfield player with an attacking role. During his service he played in every position including goalkeeper and in seven seasons made 213 League appearances, scoring 35 goals. He suffered cartilage trouble late in his career with the Shots and when released in the summer of 1965 joined Dartford . He remembers his days at the club with great affection especially the 60/1 Cup run. Now 68 but still working in football and has done since his playing days. After leaving Aldershot he played non league for many years, coached and managed at that level and then moved on to Tottenham Hotspur where he held various positions including reserve team manager during the early 80's. He then coached abroad in the Middle East and currently is still coaching in Sweden , where he has made his home.

John Sydenham

John joined Southampton, his home town club as a junior, signing professional forms in April 1957. He soon established himself in the 1st team as an orthodox left winger, his electrifying turn of pace being his greatest asset. His directness and entertaining forward play won him a number of admirers whilst helping him win England Youth and U-23 Intentional Caps. During his 13 year long association at the Dell he helped the club rise from Division 3 to Division 1 of the Football League, making over 340 leageu appearances. In March 1970 Jimmy Melia, Shots manager was able to persuade his former team mate to sign for the club in exchange for a £3000 transfer fee despite a number of offers from other clubs. He made his debut in an away fixture at Darlington and despite a number of niggling injuries which restricted his appearances; John was always warmly received by the home supporters who were treated to many exciting performances of wing play. In total John made 58 appearances for the Shots, scoring 4 goals. When he was released in the summer of 1972 he joined Ringwood Town. Has since emigrated to Australia and went into Insurance, now also the Australian scout for Southampton FC.

Carl Taylor

Carl began his career as an inside forward with the Westmorland schoolboys team graduating through amateur circles with Penrith in the Northern League and then a short association with Wolverhampton Wanderers. Whilst at Molineux he was converted to a winger, later moving on to Middlesbrough where he was offered professional status in January 1956. His opportunities at Ayresome Park were restricted to just 11 League outings mainly due to competition for places from his fellow team-mates and especially Boro’s starlet Billy Day As a result Carl joined Aldershot for a reported £2000 fee in June 1960 quickly establishing himself in the 1st team. Carl was soon recognised as a talented player who was able to shoot with both feet and was the provider of accurate crosses from dead ball tight marking situations. Carl made a total of 78 appearances for the Shots before requesting a transfer, and eventually joining Darlington in September 1962 for £3000. He has just retired in his home town of Kirkby Stephen in Cumbria where he has ran his own building business for the last 30 years.

Mick Travers

Mick joined Reading as a youngster and played 153 games for the "Biscuitmen", joined Portsmouth in 1967 making 74 outings before joining the Shots for the memorable 72/3 season where he made a valuable contribution to the Shots promotion campaign playing 30 times. Joined Basingstoke Town at the end of the season and now believed to be a solicitor in his home town of Camberley.

Neil Warnock

Manager of several league clubs after steering Scarborough to league football in the 80's. Has had spells with Notts County and currently a very successful time with home town club Sheffield United.

Alan Woan

Liverpool born Alan began his career with now defunct club New Brighton. League spells followed at Norwich City , Northampton and Crystal Palace. He joined the Shots from Palace in February 1961 and was to make 108 League appearances scoring 44 times in his four seasons with the club, including a hat-trick against Hartlepools in the opening game of the 63/4 season. Now 73 and retired after working for local government on the Wirral where he now lives. In the 70's and 80's he worked with the U16 side at Tranmere Rovers under John King and discovered players like Micky Quinn (Portsmouth, Newcastle U) and Derek Mountfield (Everton) and then spent a lot of his time following the careers of his sons Alan at Stalybridge Celtic and Ian at Nottingham Forest. He played himself once a week up to the age of 65 and now enjoys his golf three times a week.

Tommy Youlden

Began his career as an apprentice at Arsenal in 1966 but did not make a first team game before moving to Portsmouth in April 1968 where in a little over three seasons made 90 league apps. Signed for Reading in time for the 72/3 season, and in over four campaigns acquired a further 163 league outings. Joined the Shots in April 1977 and his uncompromising play put steel in the Shots back four and he appeared regularly between 77 and 81 turning out for 123 league games. Left Aldershot at the end of 80/1 and ended his career at Addlestone & Weybridge. Now teaches economics and politics at University College School Hampstead and of course coaches the schools 1st XI.

Many thanks for additions and corrections to : Craig Matthews, Greger Lindberg, Liam Kane, Tony Jones, John Townsend, David Taylor, Harry Hutchinson, Alan Woan Jnr, Dan Brown & Robbie Stepney Jnr.